Process engineering design is the application of chemical, mechanical, petroleum, gas and other engineering talents to the process-related development, planning, designs, and decisions required for the economical and effective completion of a process project. Process Design Engineering is considered the brains of any Plant. Project Engineers are playing a vital role in different industries in Design, Fabrication, Commissioning, Production and Safety. This training program enables process design engineers to design process equipment, used widely in various industrial segments like Oil & Gas Industry, Power Plant Industry, Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Fertilizer, Food Processing Industries (FMCG), etc.
Although process design engineers are organizationally located in research, technical service, economic evaluation, as well as other specific departments, the usual arrangement is to have them available to the engineering groups concerned with developing the engineering details as well as to evaluate bids for the various equipment items. Process design is usually a much more specific group responsibility in engineering contractor organizations than in a chemical or petrochemical production company, and the degree of distinction varies with the size of the organization.
The average process engineer has the following responsibilities: 1. prepares studies of process cycles and systems for various product production or improvements or changes in existing production units; prepares material and heat balances; 2. prepares economic studies associated with process performance; 3. designs and/or specifies equipment items required to define the process flowsheet or flow system; specifies corrosion-resistant materials of construction;
|Course:||Process Design & Simulation|
|Eligibility :||Chemical & Mechanical Engineers|
|Duration :||35-40 hour|
|Course Fee:||25,000 INR|
|Job opportunity :||In EPC and manufacturing industries, Engineering consultancy|
|Certification :||Training Certificate to all & Merit Certificate based on performance in Case study & test|
4. evaluates competitive bids for equipment; 5. evaluates operating data for existing or test equipment; 6. guides flowsheet draftsmen in detailed flowsheet preparation.
The process engineer also develops tests and interprets data and information from the research pilot plant. He/she aids in scaling up the research type flow cycle to one of commercial feasibility. The process engineer must understand the interrelationship between the various research, engineering, purchasing, expediting, construction, and operational functions of a project. He/she must appreciate that each function may and often does affect or influence the process design decisions. For example, it is futile to waste time designing or calculating in detail when the basic components of the design cannot be economically fabricated, or if capable of being fabricated, cannot possibly be delivered by the construction schedule for the project. Some specific phases of a project that require process understanding include plant layout, materials of construction for corrosion as well as strength, start-up operations, troubleshooting, maintenance, performance testing, and so forth.
Course Syllabus for Mechanical Design
- Overview of Industry and role of Process Engineer in various fields.
- Introduction to BFD, PFD, P&ID, and PDS of equipment.
- Relevant Codes and Standards used in industry.
- Mass and Energy balance – Design Basis, Sample Calculations, and Utility Sizing.
- Interlocks, Control Philosophy, Valve Selection and sizing Safety valve sizing.
- Developing of PFD, PDS, P&I: Process and Utility.
- Development of Basic Engineering Package (BEP).
- Line Sizing & Pressure Drop Calculations.
- Pump Selection and sizing, Reactor sizing.
- Heat Exchanger Design (Thermal Design), Distillation Column Design.
- Available software used in industry and their applications.
- Use of vendor data & Checking Vendor data.
- Making Commissioning manual, HAZOP review & risk management.
- Interview Preparation
After successful completion of the course, students can find career growth in Design Consultancy, Equipment manufacturing Companies, Production Units, and Inspection & Testing.